Yongcheonsa Temple

대표시청각
button
관련항목 페이징
  • URL Copy
  • twitter
  • facebook
Chinese Characters 湧泉寺
Field Religion/ Buddhism
Type Organizations / Temple
Area (1062, Osan-ri) 1375-9, Heolti-ro, Gakbuk-myeon, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Period Ancient /Three Kingdoms Period/ Silla
Writer Kim Migyeong

    [Detail Information]

    Characteristics Buddhist Temple
    Founder Uisang
    Phone 054-372-7204
    Establishment Period/Date 670연표보기 - Establishment of Yongcheonsa Temple in the name of ‘Okcheonsa’
    Renaming Period/Date 1267연표보기 - Rename of Okcheonsa Temple to Bulilsa Temple
    Reconstruction Period/Date 1267연표보기 - Reconstruction of Yongcheonsa Temple
    1631연표보기 - Reconstruction of Yongcheonsa Temple
    1805연표보기 - Reconstruction of Yongcheonsa Temple
    Designation as Cultural Property Period/Date July 16, 1996연표보기 - Designation of Daeungjeon of Yongcheonsa Temple as Gyeongsangbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No. 295
    March 23, 2006연표보기 - Designation of Monument of Reconstruction of Road to Yongcheonsa Temple as Gyeongsangbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No. 379
    Current Location 1062, Osan-ri, Heolti-ro, Gakbuk-myeon, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-doMap
[Definition]
A branch temple of Donghwasa Temple as the 9th district head temple of Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism, located in Osan-ri, Gakbuk-myeon, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do

[Summary]
Yongcheonsa Temple was founded by Uisang in 670 (10th year of King Munmuof Silla) in the name of ‘Okcheonsa’. It was one of the 10 Buddist temples from the Flower Garland Schools of Buddhism (Hwaeomjong).

The name of ‘Yongcheonsa’ was originated from the Yongcheon Spring which the clean water between rocks was continuously flowing downwards. The spring had never been dried out and never been frozen in winter, while the same amount of water flowed downwards even during the drought and flood seasons. The temple was renamed to ‘Bulilsa’ when it was reconstructed by Ilyeon in 1267 (8th year of King Wonjong of Goryeo) and then renamed to ‘Yongcheonsa’. It was reconstructed by Joyeong in 1631 (9th year of King Injo of Joseon) after the Hideyoshi Invasions and was reconstructed by Uiyeol in 1805 (5th year of King Sunjo).

The relics of Yongcheonsa Temple include the Daeungjeon Hall, Buddha Triad, large-sized main platform painting, 16 Arhats, stone artifacts and candlestick. There are six stupas at the valley in the right side of the temple, representing the history of Yongcheonsa Temple.

[Establishment and History]
The history of Yongcheonsa Temple is based on the woodblock version of historical records by Kim Jingyu (1658-1716) in 1702 (28th year of King Sukjong) and <Historical Records of Yongcheonsa Temple in Gakbuk-myeon, Cheongdo-gun (Cheongdo-gun Gakbuk-myeon, Yongcheongsa sajeok)> which was published in 1927 by combining the <Yongcheonji> written by Hanggyu in 1703.

According to Kim Jingyu’s historical records, when Uisang returned to Silla after his study in China, he established the Flower Garland Schools of Buddhism (Hwaeomjong) and 10 Buddhist temples in 670 (10th year of King Munmu), which Yongcheonsa Temple was one of them and it was called ‘Okcheonsa’ at the time.

Uisang inherited 8 pieces of Buddhist scriptures, which were inscribed on the ivory blocks at the time of the establishment of Hwaeomjong. Later, one of them was lost and supplemented with a wooden block. Nine high priests such as Gwangi, Doseong, Bansa, Cheopsa, Doui, Jayang, Seongbeom, Yeobaek and Usa were stayed in Yongcheonsa Temple during the Three Kingdoms Period.

National Preceptor Ilyeon reconstructed the temple during the reign of King Wonjong of Goryeo, naming ‘Yoncheonsa’ and then renaming ‘Bulilsa’.

When Ilyeon was served as the abbot of Yongcheonsa Temple, King Wonjong visited Bulilsa. King Wonjong let Ilyeon sit in higher place and signed on the Ilyeon’s gyeolsamun (sustained resolution). As such, Bulilsa became further famous and prosperous.

Kim Jingyu’s historical records and Haengyu’s <Yongcheonji> described the important matters of the time when the temple was established by Uisang and was reconstructed by Ilyeon. Yongcheonsa Temple was greatly damaged from the Hideyoshi Invasions which was broken out in 1592. After that, Joyeong reconstructed the temple in 1631 (9th year of King Injo). Several more occasions of the reconstruction were implemented. However, the heydays of the temple, which over 1,000 monks were stayed in Yongcheonsa Temple and had 47 hermitages, were faded away under the long years. Only Daeungjeon Hall of the temple, which was designated as cultural property, was built in 1631 while the other buildings were built in modern days.

[Activity]
Yongcheonsa Temple implements the Buddhist services on the1st and 15th day of every month. A pilgrim association called Yongcheon Sinhaenghoe has been involved with the temple and conducted various activities.

[Current State]
Yongcheonsa Temple has two monks and about 500 believers. The Buddhist services have been implemented on the 1st and 15th day of every month on a regular basis. The main sanctum of the temple is Daeungjeon Hall. Eungjeonjeon, Sansingak, monks’ quarter and well are located in the left side of the Daeungjeon. The abbot room and Myeongbujeon are located in the right side of Daeungjeon Hall.

Daeungjeon is composed of 3rooms (kan) in front space and 3 rooms (Kan) in side space with the gambrel roof. It is estimated to be built during the 17th-18th century. It was designated as Gyeongsangbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No. 295 in 1996. It enshrines Wooden Sakyamuni Buddha Triad, which is estimated to be made in 1633, main platform painting, Chilseongdo Painting and Sinjungdo Painting produced in 1956, and the Portrait of Uisang.

[Related Cultural Properties]
Daeungjeon of Yongcheonsa Temple was designated as Gyeongsangbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No. 295 and the Monument of Reconstruction of Road to Yongcheonsa Temple was designated as Gyeongsangbuk-do Tangible Cultural Property No. 379.

0
Writer Confirmation Number  
Comments
Submit

향토문화전자대전 로고 집필항목 검색 닫기
향토문화전자대전 로고 참고문헌 검색 닫기