Imgo Seowon

대표시청각
button
관련항목 페이징
  • URL Copy
  • twitter
  • facebook
Chinese Characters 臨皐書院
Field Religion/Confucianism,Cultural Heritage/Tangible Cultural Property
Type Relic/Building
Area (462, Yanghang-ri), Imgo-myeon, Yeongcheon-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Period Joseon/Early Joseon
Writer Jo Yeonghwa

    [Detail Information]

    Establishment Period/Date 1553연표보기 - Establishment of the Imgo Seowon
    Relocation Period/Period 1603연표보기 - Relocation of the Imgo Seowon
    Designation as Cultural Property Period/Date October 15, 1985연표보기 - Designation of the Imgo Seowon as Gyeongsangbuk-do Monument No. 62
    Special Notes Period/Date 1919 - Establishment of theJonyeonggak
    Current Location Yanghang-ri, Imgo-myeon, Yeongcheon-si, Gyeongsangbuk-doMap
    Original Location Mt. Buraesan, Gochon-dong, Imgo-myeon, Gyeongsangbuk-doMap
    Characteristics Seowon
    Ownership Imgo Seowon
    Manager Imgo Seowon
    Designation as Cultural Property Gyeongsangbuk-do Monument No. 62
[Definition]
A private academy (seowon) located in Yanghang-ri, Imgo-myeon, Yeongcheon-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do

[Summary]
The tablet of the loyal subject and Confucian scholar during the final period of Goryeo Jeong Mongju (1337-1392) is enshrined in the Imgo Seowon.

[Location]
The Imgo Seowon is located at the Imgo Three-Way Intersection on National Road No. 69 on the way to Yeongcheon Dam.

[History]
The Imgo Seowon was established in Mt. Buraesan, Gochon-dong, Imgo-myeon, Gyeongsangbuk-do in 1553 (8th year of King Myeongjong) to commemorate the virtues and loyalty of Jeong Mongju. After being burnt down during the Hideyoshi Invasion, it was rebuilt in the current site in 1603 (36th year of King Seonjo) and became a royal chartered private academy. The tablet of Jang Hyeongwang was added in 1643 (21st year of King Injo) and that of Hwang Boin in 1727 (3rd year of King Yeongjo).

The Imgo Seowon was closed down in keeping with the ordinance calling for the abolishment of private academies promulgated by the Heungseon Daewongun in 1868 (5th year of King Gojong). The Jongyeonggak was established in 1919 to enshrine the Portrait of Jeong Mongju and conduct ritual services. It was restored in 1965, this time with only the tablet of Jeong Mongju enshrined. However, the tablet of Hwang Boin was once again enshrined in 2001. A new seowon composed of old and new buildings was constructed at the current site with government funds.

[Shape]
The Imgo Seowon includes the following buildings and structures: the Pyochungsa, Naesammun Gate, Yujeongmun Gate, Heungmundang Lecture Hall, Monument to Jeong Mongju, Samjingak, Yeonggwangnu Pavilion, Hamyujae Library, and Suseongjae Shrine.

The Heungmundang Lecture Hall was also used to conduct various events, and served as a meeting place for Confucian scholars. The hall features a wooden floor in the center and hyeopsil on both sides.

[Current State]
The Imgo Seowon was restored in 1965 as the place of enshrinement of the tablet of Jeong Mongju. While the tablet of Jeong Mongju is enshrined in the Munchungsa, his portrait is housed in the Jonyeonggak.

The Imgo Seowon implements ritual ceremonies every February and August. It houses three portraits of Jeong Mongju, the 113 woodblocks that make up the Collection of Jeong Mongju’s Works (Poeun Munjip), the 71-woodblock Topical Discourses of Jibong (Jibong yuseol), 11 volumes of the Collection of Poeun’s Works (Poeunjip) and Eosaseongni gunseo, as well as another 200 books.

The Imgo Seowon was designated as Gyeongsangbuk-do Monument No. 62. The gingko tree at the Imgo Seowon was designated as Gyeongsangbuk-do Monument No. 63.

1
Writer Confirmation Number  
Comments
Submit

향토문화전자대전 로고 집필항목 검색 닫기
향토문화전자대전 로고 참고문헌 검색 닫기